Miracles

Miracles

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

When I Heard the Word "Cancer"



A little over a month ago, I took Anthony to the emergency room on a Sunday evening. We thought he might be having a gallbladder attack. Five weeks, a multitude of tests, and seven doctors later, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Inoperable. A far cry from gallstones.
When I first heard the word "cancer" in a sentence with Anthony's name, it hit me like a ton of bricks...
I grabbed one hand with the other and squeezed.....hard. Then, I grabbed my knees...both of them were shaking uncontrollably...and tried to settle myself. What happened to the chair I was sitting on? I couldn't feel it beneath me, but I decided it had to be there because I wasn't sitting on the floor!
I rubbed my eyes. I didn't remember falling asleep, but it sure felt like I was stuck in a bad dream. Everything looked blurry...I think a few stubborn tears, from the torrent I was desperately fighting back, pushed their way through in an attempt to soften the truth that was far too painful to see.
I scratched at my ears, pushing my fingers in as far as I could. I considered keeping them plugged up so I didn't have to hear anything the doctor was saying. Knowing I must listen, I unplugged them, but all I could hear was a terrible ringing sound that made me feel like I was spinning around in the middle of a tornado.
I opened my mouth and I heard words coming out, but they didn't match the words that were screaming inside my head. From my mouth came the calm, steady words of an intelligent woman asking intelligent questions. At the same time, my brain was screaming, over and over again, hysterically, like a frantic child, "Oh my God, O my God, he has pancreatic cancer!"
Yes, Anthony has pancreatic cancer. At first, it sounded so strange to say these words, it's still scary to hear them, and when I write them down or type them out, it's almost as if they're written in a foreign language. But, with each day, the reality starts to sink in, and I begin to think a little more clearly. Gradually, I find myself less afraid and more determined than ever to help Anthony beat this disease.
Anthony and I do everything together, so facing his cancer together comes naturally to us. We are armed with our deep faith in God, a love for each other that can only be described as epic, and the prayerful and loving support of our family and so many dear friends. We also believe in miracles. When you believe in miracles, it's impossible to lose hope.

8 comments:

  1. Teri, this is beautifully written. I'm deeply touched and moved. You are both in my prayers.

    Love,

    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and friend...this is an incredible start on your blog. It is very tender and truthful. It gives us all hope and increases our prayers in behalf you both of you. I love you and love my Anthony as well...he is a good brother and has a very hard road to travel...we will walk beside the both of you on this journey as you continue to post blogs. Our prayers will also continue to be lifted unto our God and Father in Heaven who hears all of our heartfelt prayers.
    Thank you for being so honest. Thank you for sharing that which is so painful...and thank you for allowing us to walk with you.

    Love and hugs,

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing. Loving thoughts are coming your way from Boulder, CO.

    Love,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Terri for keeping us up to date with Anthony's latest condition. I know how painful this is for you, but by your posting and sharing, it is a step of the journey that will allow your friends and family to also join the two of you. We will continue to lift Anthony and you in prayer. Please know how much you are loved, and I am only a phone call away. Yes, I too believe in miracles. God love you both, and may he hear all of our prayers and keep careful watch over you. (((HUGS))) n <3, Aurora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris said...

    Hi Teri,
    Although we have never met, I have to tell you that my husband Joe and I 'LOVE' Tony. We are sick about Tony's illness and want you both to know that we will be keeping him in our thoughts and prayers. Tony was such a loving dear while my Mom was so very ill. Tony on several occasions brought my Mom communion and prayed with and over her. I hope Tony knows how very much that meant to her and us her children.
    Tony is also Godfather to our youngest son Joseph III, so you see we do think highly of him. Please let Tony know that Joe and I send him our love and prayers for his healing! I have to ask if this beautiful sketch is one that Tony did of you. It is as beautiful as your words of your husband are. Our Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris....
    Thank you for sending Anthony your love and prayers. He has very fond memories of your mother and is happy to have had the opportunity to minister to her. Being a Eucharistic minister to the sick is something he has continued to do for family members and dear ones in our faith community. His deep and abiding love for God and his unwavering faith sustains him in the face of this devastating illness. He is truly a wonderful man and a precious gift in my life.

    I'm glad you like the photo. I actually did it with the help of an effects program. It's amazing what you can do with technology these days!

    Again, thank you, for thinking of Anthony and for praying for him. We are both touched by your thoughtfulness and we take comfort in knowing so many people are asking God to heal him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teri - I am someone your prayer chain reached. My prayers are with you and Anthony. But I will also say thank you to YOU for doing what your doing...loving your husband and being his strength when he has no more strength. I had stage 3+ breast cancer. I don't anymore. Yes, it was a miracle. Every morning I thank God for giving me the strength I needed and especially for the beautiful people that held my hand while I was went through it. You are one of those people that God gave Anthony. You are one of the persons that Anthony will do everything he can to live for. When Anthony thinks he can't take one more step, or one more treatment, or one more surgery, he will look at your beautiful face and hear your voice, and take the treatment, do the surgery, and take another step. Our love for and from our family and friends is what gives us the strength that we never knew we had. You are one of the people who save our lives when it is on the line. The doctors, and we ourselves, can only do so much without YOU. It is truly love that saves us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teri, I have been praying for your husband, you, and your family. Please check the following website (These are scientists who have found a cure for cancer with a natural substance, and no side affects. It is expensive, but read their website. If need be the community will help you raise funds.) It is in Europe, and the substance is called "GcMAF"- Gc protein-derived Macrophage-
    activating factorMacrophages (Greek: "big eaters", makros = large, phagein = eat) are cells within the tissues that originate from specific white blood cells called monocytes. Monocytes and macrophages are phagocytes, acting in both nonspecific defence (or innate immunity) as well as specific defense (or cell-mediated immunity) of vertebrate animals. Their role is to phagocytize (engulf and then digest) cellular debris and pathogens either as stationary or mobile cells, and to stimulate lymphocytes and other immune cells to respond to the pathogen. The website is GcMAF.eu Click under "Information" GCMAF has cured many people in advanced stages of cancer.

    An old friend from Holy Trinity, whose prayers continue incessantly, Mary

    ReplyDelete