Miracles

Miracles

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Letting Go

Anthony is the love of my life...as I am the love of his. That explains why this is so hard. Neither of us wants to part. Unfortunately, it appears the time has come for that to happen. I’m so sorry to tell you this. I’m sorrier than I’ve ever been about anything in my life. But, I want you to know so that you can pray for Anthony...You see, it appears that he is very close to letting go...to leaving this life...and me. 
Ever since his hospitalization in early March, Anthony’s condition has steadily declined. Once again, he is in the hospital receiving fluids and medications to rehydrate him and balance his electrolytes. However, things are very different this time. This is the last time we will do this. As soon as we can arrange it, I will be taking him home and placing him on Hospice care. And, as soon as I get him home, I will put him in bed and curl up next to him. And, I won’t leave his side for one second...until he leaves me.
I know this is not the way we wanted this story to end. Unfortunately, we don’t get to write the script. Oh, geez, we’d probably make an awful mess of things if we could, anyways. Even though I’m sick of hearing that ‘God has a plan,’ deep down inside, I know it’s true. I also know that I couldn’t come up with a better one, no matter how hard I tried. None of us could. I have learned that God’s plans often appear mysterious when we’re going through the most difficult times, but later on, down the road, we are blessed with an understanding of why things happened the way they did. As the mysteries unfold, the miracles are exposed. Maybe not the miracles we were hoping for, but that doesn’t make them any less than miracles. We will just have to wait and see.
For now, however, my focus must stay on Anthony and his comfort. Please pray with me, for Anthony to have a peaceful and painless transition from this life. Please pray for me, that I may stay strong so I can help him let go. A few hours ago, he told me he was ready to let go. Ten minutes later, he said that maybe his decision was “a bit hasty.” When I asked him why, he said he didn’t want to leave me. Do you know how badly I wanted to scream out, “Well, then, don’t leave me!...Don’t you dare leave me!”....?  Of course, I don’t want him to leave me! But, even more than that, I don’t want him to suffer anymore. Especially on my account. I could not live with that. I love him far too much to subject him to anymore pain or suffering. So, while I don’t want him to leave me, I do want him to let go.

Thank you for traveling this journey with us. I want you to know how much Anthony and I appreciate everything you have done to help us along the way. Your companionship, your prayers, your support...just you being there...has comforted us more than you could ever imagine. Sometimes, when someone is very ill, like Anthony, people are afraid to reach out, to come around, or to be there because they feel inadequate or helpless or even scared. But, not you...No, not you! You have stayed with us, all the way. For all that you are and all that you do...Anthony and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
This is not the end, my friends. We must remember that Anthony’s life is not ending. The best part of his life is just waiting for him to step into it and embrace it without pain, sickness, or suffering. Imagine...a life without the least bit of turmoil. A beautiful and peaceful life walking in the presence of our Lord. Forever.....Miraculous.

6 comments:

  1. Prayers are being lifted, even as I read this heart rending addition to the journey you speak of...prayers are being lifted. We love you and we love Anth so much. Add a little more of your love to him for us...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Teri...I know there are no words for this situation but I just want you to know that my family and I have been with you and Anthony this whole time in thought, spirit and prayer...and we will continue to be always. We love you. Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you realize how far-reaching an impact your beautiful writing has had in these last several months. I am Bart and Debi Russo's sister-in-law so I doubt you know me, but even as I write this, tears fill my eyes for you both. You have been such an inspiration to so many people throughout this journey of yours and Anthony's, and I'm sure prayers have flooded the heavens, paving the way for Anthony's grand entrance. Jesus will welcome him with open arms and Anthony will finally be free of all his pain and suffering. I think the hardest part of letting go would be leaving behind those we love, but it sounds like you've done a wonderful job making that transition as easy as possible for Anthony and God bless you for that! My prayers will continue to be with you and your family during this final phase of your journey towards Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In times like this, I always revert to my favorite prayer:

    May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord let his face shine upon you and be gracious to you.
    May the Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace.

    Numbers 6:24

    I say this for you, Antony and the entire family. You are most deserving of His peace.

    Love always,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to hear this Teri. Many prayers for you and Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri,

    You have been an inspiration to me, and my little seminary class as we have prayed for miracles for both of you. Your deep and abiding love for your sweetheart is worthy of emulation from all of us. You have truly been an angel to him in his time of need, supporting and strengthening him until his mortal journey is now nearing its end. As the Lord said to faithful king Josiah, "Behold, I will gather thee to thy fathers, and thou shalt be gathered to thy grave in peace"...2 Chron. 34:28. Anthony will come face to face with his fathers and be welcomed home, his mortal sojourn completed. May you and Anthony have the peace and comfort of the Holy Spirit to be your guide, Tina Farthing

    ReplyDelete